Sep 4, 2009

Love Intangible

It is amazing how the English language has words that represent intangible concepts; concepts such as love. Think about it, I say “love” and it leaves my mouth, enters your brain, and you connect it to a feeling, and intangible emotion, perhaps a positive experience that you had, perhaps a feeling of loneliness. In return, you let me know that you understand what I am saying, and I assume that you do. But how do I know that you understand “love” in the same way as I do? How am I sure that the letters I have grouped together to form a word that has no tangible state, has been understood in your brain, the way I intended? There is no way to find out if you understand the word “love”, if your meaning of the word is congruent to the description in my head. If I were talking about a zebra, I could point to a zebra and say “that is a zebra.” I would be certain that you knew what I zebra was, because I pointed one out to you and you understood what I was saying. But I can’t show you “love”. I can’t bring it to you and say, “When I speak of love, I am referring to this”. But somehow I assume that you know what I am talking about because society created a word, for a feeling you can’t explain. Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always like to hear from you...