Jan 10, 2011

It's Oh So Quiet

Ever notice how nature slows up, gets quiet and calms down in anticipation for snow.

Its supposed to snow here in Vancouver tomorrow and Vancouverites (thats what they are called right) are getting all anxious in anticipation for the centimetres of snow that will be hitting our fair city in a few hours (please note the sarcasm when describing the amount of snow).

Now if we were taking our cues from nature (as was intended), we would see this blanket of snowy protection as a signal to rest, calm our minds and take the time to practice patience and quiet. Winter, cold and snow gives us an opportunity that summer and warmth do not. The opportunity to turn our minds and hearts inward, the opportunity to practice patience, creativity and organization of our internal and external worlds.

While saying this, I would be amiss not to mention that I HATE cold and snow more than anyone I know. The thought of cold weather is so repulsive to my entire person that I cannot speak, think or act when I'm cold. I go into survival mode, and all I can think about is how to get warm; fast. In situations that I have found myself to be in arctic weather, I've gone so far as to contemplate cutting open loved ones and using their warm steaming bodies as heating aids (exaggeration).

You see my point. Or maybe you dont. All I'm trying to say is that sometimes the hardest things are the most important for us to practice.

Heres something to lift your spirits:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always like to hear from you...