Nov 20, 2010

Public Transport

I took the bus home from work by myself yesterday. It was the first time I had taken the bus alone in years. Im always a little nervous on the bus. I feel like there is an etiquette that I don't quite understand.

For example: I got on the bus and, as there were no disabled or elderly people at my stop I sat down in the seats that said "Priority for the Disabled and Elderly". At the next stop a gentleman got on the bus. He was dressed in a suit had a lovely moustache and salt and pepper hair. Here's he kicker...He might have been Elderly. But, in my defence, he might not have been elderly. Who's to know. Heres the facts:
1) He was working downtown, I could plainly see that he was a business man, so he wasn't retired or anything and just downtown on a pleasure stroll.
2) He didn't look decrepit or anything. He looked of sound mind and body.
3) He was definitely over the age of 55. That technically makes him a senior, but does it make him elderly?

The thing is, he kept looking at me, with this look of expectation, expectation that I'd move for him. But getting up and giving him my seat is a whole different can of beans. What if he isn't elderly and he gets insulted? I wouldn't want to offer, for him to to reject me, and then have to sit in the silent judgement and mockery of the entire #17 U.B.C. bus. Public humiliation terrifies me. What would you have done? He did stumble a bit once when the bus started moving. Oh no, Im horrible. I should have gotten up.

In the end, I think I wont sit in the Priority Seating again. Its just not worth the mental conflict. Standing will suit me just fine.

Tumblr_lbz0jotsyu1qcshf5o1_400_large

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always like to hear from you...