Jan 14, 2010

Music transports you.

Its funny how a song can bring you back to an exact moment in time. I'm listening to the Life Aquatic Soundtrack this morning. When Loquasto International Film Festival by Mark Mothersbaugh came on, I instantly got transported back to the day of my wedding. I remember standing with my bridesmaids in the back room waiting to walk down the aisle. Come to think of it, I can't recall what emotions I was feeling. I know I was excited, and I felt a little frantic, as my vows had just gone missing and we had to scramble to find new ones. But upon hearing the opening bars of Loquasto (which is what the parents walked down the aisle to), I remember thinking, "I'm ready, we're starting, lets do this". Its important to listen to music that brings you back to specific times in your life. Its good to meditate on the past, remember your feelings, bask in nostalgia. I learnt a very valuable lesson this week:

Consider all experiences in your past as blessings. All things that happened in your past are blessings, just like all experiences that are currently happening your reality are blessings. Your past shapes who you are today. To change the past would be to change your present. Dont dwell on the past, on mistakes, or choices, or lack of experiences. When thinking about the past make connections about how the past positively influenced you as a person, what you learnt, who you were then and how that is different than who you are now. The past is important, but attaching negative weight to past expereiences only leaves you bitter, resentful and angry. Remember your past with joy, appreciation and as a blessing, and in return your present will feel more blessed as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always like to hear from you...